Finding a good GP in Richmond for your elderly parents is not the easiest thing; there are a good number of them ad you have to distinguish the good ones from the not-so-good. Because you want your parents to get the best possible care it is important that you choose carefully. Here is what you should be looking for:
• Your parents are ageing and they will increasingly not be able to get things done for themselves even when they visit the doctor. Find a doctor who has a good reputation for working with and treating the elderly.
• There will come a time when your parents will; not be able to get out of the house and go to the doctor. Before you hire a doctor to take care of them confirm that he makes house calls.
• If your parents live alone it is important that you find a doctor who has employees who can visit them at home every 2 or 3 days to make sure that they have everything that they need. If your parents are taking any medication the employee, ideally a nurse, should arrange their pills for them in well labeled pill containers.
• If your parents are suffering from any chronic illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease fond a specialist doctor who is an expert on these kinds of diseases.
• A good doctor will not just treat your parents when they are ill – they should be able to give advice and information on how they can live healthier lifestyles in order to avoid illnesses. They should give regular input on diet and exercise.
• The doctor that you choose should do regular tests on your parents in order to be able to detect illnesses before they become chronic.
• It is better to choose a medical practice that has several; doctors with different expertise. It makes it easier if your parents only have to make one trip to see all their doctors.